Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wizard ain't gonna be usin' mana(!) - Page 3

Quote:








It sounds like Blizzard is making life really hard for themselves because they will totally have to balance a different mechanic for each class. I'm not sure why the need is there.




I don't think so. If they use different system, they can fine tone them for each class. If every class uses mana, one item will give the same mana to each class. With different system, you can vary this system.

lets look back at diablo II. The mana system worked decent for most classes. But a singer barbarian can't possibly keep a full mana bulb without constant full rejuvenation potions. Perhaps if the barbarian used a different system, they could have added items that gave huge regeneration or bonuses. Something that can't be done with mana as this would overpower energyshield sorcerers.

Balancing separate things is easier then balancing combined things. The biggest problem is to come up with all the different system and to make them work with the different play styles.|||Quote:








The thing to be encouraged with the Wizard, is that the player should use varied abilities to deal with hordes as efficiently as possible. It would be neat if the use of powerful abilities such as Meteor didn't become too commonplace.




Definitely. I think there's a few things that should be taken into consideration for this new system:

- Higher tier spells (Tornado, Blizzard, Hydra) that kill more enemies at a time should cost more than lower tier spells (Spectral Blade, Magic Missle, Charged Bolt).

- A resource system that recharges quickly would encourage players to stay in the action rather than running away.

Taking these things into account, it would make sense to go with a system where the wizard is able to stay in combat for extended periods of time without running out of resources. To compensate for this, there should probably be some sort of penalty for using skills poorly, like aiming Disintegrate at a wall.


Quote:




Each tier is given its own mana pool. Does anyone remember Hexen? I think there was like, green mana and blue mana. So it's like that. You might think it's complicated for a fast-paced game, but you'd pick it up in no time, killing horde after horde. With this, you'd be weighing up the choice of Temporal Armour or Blizzard, things like that.

I can see two problems with this, however.

1. It would probably cause players to concentrate in one skill per tier, defeating the purpose of the idea.

2. Having only a few skills per mana type would be pretty dull. You probably wouldn't end up managing a mana type so much as just casting spells from that pool automatically whenever you could.




Hexen was awesome.

I think a mana pool for each tier could work if there was a greater number of skills to choose from. Looking at fury and mana, though, it seems like they want to go with something simpler.


Quote:




So there's my second idea. I really think regular mana worked pretty well, but I'm not at all opposed to a change if it's a good one.




Yeah, I agree! I'd like to get everyone's input on a new system that will work even better for the wizard.


Quote:








I think this topic deserves a thread of its own, so I start one under the title "Alternate Power-Resource Systems: Mana, Fury and ???". I hope you don't mind, but I will copy your post in and change out the word "rune" and "meter" to "chamber" so no one else gets confused and so no one trolls us on semantics. If you want me to use a different word, let me know.




That's cool! I'll definitely see if I can add anything to your thread.|||A problem with forcing the wizard to use multiple spells is resistances/immunities. If I "use up" my uses of my cold spell and my only other spell is fire and the monster is immune to that I am in trouble and have to flee until my cold spell recharges.

But since they haven't told us what the system they are going to use is it is hard to comment on it.|||Hmmm no mana for the wizard? I'm really curious now. However, I don't like thta thought too much, because as some already said, mana powers everyone. It's even in the lore. And it's one of the reaosns I like it.

Though I agree from a balancing standpoint that it would be easier. On the other hand, this kind of system will decrease the number of possible gear combinations for character, and thus decrease customization possibilities.

All in all, I'm not quite sure if this is the best idea. Of course, I could be wrong, but to speak my mind - I would like mana for everyone.|||Quote:








When I read about this, I had an idea for the wizard's resource system. Since it seems like they want every character to have a wide variety of active skills, I thought of a system that would reward the wizard for using multiple skills instead of spamming one until they no longer can use it.

My idea was this: there are four glowing runes in place of the mana sphere. You use Disintegrate for a while, and the first rune starts to fade. Once it runs out, it doesn't start to refill (or it does, but at a very slow rate). So you switch to Electrocute. If you hit an enemy with it, the first rune starts to refill with each successful hit as your second rune starts to fade. Then you switch to Arcane Orb, which refills the first two runes as the third starts to deplete.

For defensive skills like Storm Armor or Temporal Armor, they would refill the other runes as you take hits. In other words, as you use an active skill, it refills the meters on your other active skills. But they only replenish the other meters if they take effect. If you use Disintegrate on a wall, it would just deplete one meter until it's gone. This would prevent spamming one skill, and it would promote the use of multiple skills.




Yea blizzard basically already used this system for Death Knights in wow

No comments:

Post a Comment